Tuesday, June 16, 2015

bundo banana blessing


I love baking with bananas, and of course the best baking bananas are dead ones.


I haven't seen discount bananas for sale in Pennsylvania.
.ever.
(I even asked my friends here, and none of them knew where to direct me to purchase outdated bananas either)...

Imagine my delight when I discovered a rack of bundo bananas at Giant last Wednesday evening while grocery shopping! I limited myself to one bag ($1.51 at $0.29/lb), which was filled with three bunches of smelly bananas.

After work on Thursday I baked a banana cake and froze the rest of the brown gems for later :)


In case you want to bake a banana cake as well, here's the easy recipe I used:

Simple Banana Cake

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup sugar (I reduce)

1 cup mashed bananas (extra ripe bananas are best!)
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
3/4 cup plain yoghurt
1 teaspoon vanilla

  1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk wet ingredients.
  3. Mix wet and dry ingredients; beat a few times.
  4. Pour batter into greased and floured pan (I used an 8x10 glass baking dish).
  5. Bake at 350F/180C for 25 minutes or until done.


For Extra Yum
~Sprinkle with chocolate chips before baking, or top with chocolate or 
peanut butter frosting once the cake is cool~

Chocolate Frosting 

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa

1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Beat butter and cocoa. Add milk and vanilla an beat until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. 

1 comment: