Thursday, February 8, 2018

bor.ing. (alternately: sans snow-cation)

bored-- with plenty to do

There are many advantages to living close to the office. There are also a couple of disadvantages... one is that there can rarely be weather so inclement that I am unable to safely make it to the office (I say rarely, because it could happen... see an example here).

I like working from home, and I heart snow days-- a lot.

Snow days are for tea and cozying on the sofa, and watching snow fall out the window and baking cinnamon rolls, and stuff like that. A snow day is kind of like a mini day-cation from the office. It's not a vacation from work (as work must be completed remotely), just a break from the humdrum of it all, a nice little variation in routine.

When I trudged up the hill to the the office Wednesday morning, no one was there. No one. I thought I must have missed a memo, but, no. It's just that everyone was working from home.
Everyone.except.me.

Eventually a couple of my coworkers came in for part of the day, and I heard some folks downstairs attending a full day of meetings as part of this week's scheduled leadership/board meeting-a-thon.


Friends, it was a BORING day at work. (and definitely not because I lack for things to do-- nor because I was neglecting said things to do...)

I like quiet and I like space, but somehow, I just felt like everyone else was on snow-cation except for me. I did manage to make the most of the opportunity by being productive. Amongst other accomplishments like prepping multiple international wires and having a phone meeting with one of the regional supervisors, there may or may not have been fifty items in my sent box by the end of the day.


However, I'm sure I could have sent those fifty items just as easily from the comfort of our sofa while drinking a piping hot cuppa and watching the snow fall through the front picture window... and maybe enjoying a fresh cinnamon roll too... essentially: while being on snow-cation.


Maybe next time.

1 comment:

  1. Did it remind you of your old job where the only person you might see all day would be the mailman?

    ReplyDelete