Friday, June 28, 2013

Splurge

I absolutely love fresh strawberries. Even after working for a strawberry farm five summers as a teen, I still love to pick (and eat!) strawberries. It’s cold season here in Zambia, but I know it’s warm season in Michigan. When I close my eyes and turn up my imagination, I can almost smell fresh strawberries. I can picture the sun rising on Logan’s seventeenth birthday and my family enjoying a birthday breakfast of fresh waffles and strawberries before the dew dries and my brothers spend the day baling hay…

But I’m not in Michigan, and strawberries don’t seem to be popular in Zambia. More than once I was tempted to buy a box of strawberries out the truck window from a street vendor at a stop light in Lusaka, but I resisted the urge. The berries looked so amazing and tasty, but… they were a special price.
 
little box of yum!
Finally, last Saturday afternoon at the filling station at the corner of Levy Junction, I caved. I told the fellow his first price was too expensive for me (it was), but when he dropped 5 Kwacha off the asking price, I just couldn't refuse.

I’m pretty sure I just have that look about me—the look that says, “I’m a sucker for strawberries.” I know that vendor could tell I would love a little box of strawberries.


What’s better than enjoying a little box of fresh strawberries is sharing them with friends who loved them too! [“Share half with me, and half with you, and we’ll both eat it all up. YUM!”]

PS- while we’re on the subject of fresh fruits I love in Michigan, just want to share that we saw canned blueberries in Lusaka. Any guesses on the price??


K50, which is about $10! Sucker or not, I left the blueberries there… every single can.

1 comment:

  1. That's one box of red ripe strawberries the big hungry bear did not get!

    ReplyDelete