Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Meet Sara, my new teamie

my nose speaks of sunshine, wonderful Zambian sunshine in January :)
Last Friday I boarded a bus in Choma and spent the rest of the day riding to Lusaka, where I rendezvoused (at the crazy inter-city bus station) with Sara, my new teammate! Sara spent the previous two days riding buses from Blantyre to Lilongwe, and Lilongwe (Malawi) to Lusaka (Zambia).

Since she spent 11 years of her life in Malawi, Sara had plenty of family and friends to visit in Malawi land over the Christmas holiday (en route to Zambia from the States). I quickly learned that Sara's Malawian connections cross country borders and reach all the way into Zambia. While in Lusaka, we met up with two of her friends who work here in Zambia.

These days, Sara and I are busy figuring out our routine around Nahumba and taking time to enjoy each other's company and get to know each other better.

our luxury bus home to Choma (air cond, curtains, and music)

7 comments:

  1. And in Tonga, how would you say, "welcome home?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha-- you're testing my Tonga and it's definitely not very strong...

      maybe we could say Twabonwa.... though I'm not sure. Maybe it should be Mwabonwa-?

      or... maybe something else.

      yeeps.

      My list of goals for the year includes intentional focus on learning more Tonga.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to Zambia, Sara! Julie, I was thinking just this week and wondering if/when your new roommate would show up. Glad you have a buddy again, to share life and adventures with!:-)

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      me too (glad to share this big house :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome to Zambia Sara! May that Father bless you as you settle in and make your new home with my favorite African niece.

    ReplyDelete