Friday, January 31, 2014

that feels like home to me

I love, love, love having fresh produce out on the counter. In fact, in the States, I loved looking at bananas in the hanging fruit basket so much that I periodically bought one or two bananas, just to look at them for a couple days before I had to eat them… even though I don’t like bananas in the States. True confession. (Thus, I would stand in the produce aisle and think: will I eat a banana in the next three days? I really want to look at one in the hanging basket, but I won’t buy it unless I am willing to eat it so it doesn't go to waste…)

fruit basketS
happy.happy.happy.
Growing up with eight sibs, the fruit basket in the kitchen was always stocked, and during the summer months, fresh produce overflowed on the kitchen counters to the point that it was difficult to find the counters beneath the masses of garden goodness. However, large quantities of fresh produce are not sustainable without mass numbers of appetites.

I’m the kind of gal who feels like I don’t have any food in the house unless there’s a generous stock of fresh fruits and veggies, but without a large family to help consume what I purchase, I have to limit my fresh stock these days. It was a fun treat last week to purchase fresh produce for 15+ as we cooked meals for a visiting team at the guesthouse.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe your happy feelings connected with bananas is a subconscious response to the smiley face it implies. That would also explain why Amy doesn't share this same banana-viewing need.

    Have you even considered investing in some well made fake bananas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so how are Zambian bananas different? Sweeter? Cook up well if you pass the eating fresh option?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bush bananas have a milder flavor and the texture is different. They actually don't work well for baking, because they're not so "mushy" when they get old.

      Delete
  3. so glad you could enjoy this part of your job!

    ReplyDelete