Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Last year and This year

Recently, I scrolled through my sent box to read some old emails from one year ago—just because.

It was one year ago that Sara joined me at Nahumba. One year ago that we got lost out in the bush taking a back route to Sikalongo with a friend. A year now since we started meeting with two Choma friends for a refreshing women’s Bible study. And also a year since the first time we hosted our Zambian youth Bible study group.

On 23 January 2014 I sent a letter home as I sipped mint tea, listened to the train whistle through Shampande, and soaked in the peaceful morning before the craziness of the day. We were confirming details of an upcoming visit from friends in February. I had also recently test-driven a friend’s Toyota HiLux (I was vehicle shopping)...

a youth Bible study in our home at Nahumba one year ago

The past couple months I haven’t been sending regular update letters home (I figure they’d probably just get boring).

If I were to send an update home just now, I’d probably talk about stuff like the recent meetings I've attended for work, drinking tea from the new teapot mom gave me for my birthday, how happy it is to have Sara, Susanna, and Sharon all home now, the weekly prayer group I've been attending, what we’re going to serve to our guests tomorrow, the fact that our neighbor cleared ALL of our steps and sidewalks this morning after the four inches of snow we received last night (yes, I baked him cookies), as well as a few other news items, like Zambia’s presidential elections last week, and the fact that my car is parked in the garage (I love.love.love garages).

This year is off to a much different start than last year, but I’m looking forward to the adventures it will hold. Likely I won’t find myself lost out in the bush (however, I did find myself LOST in my own town a couple weeks ago when I returned from Michigan…). This year I can’t get together with my good Bible-study friend in Choma, but… I’ve been enjoying fellowship at a Spanish church in the area. Also, I am once again blessed to share a house with Sara (who would have ever guessed?!). This season of life isn’t as much a “hosting” season as my time at Nahumba, because working full-time doesn’t leave much time for inviting folks over, but we’ve still managed to invite a few periodic guests to our old half-a-house—and those are good times.

Guess this is all for today’s compare-and-contrast musings.


-Tootles!

4 comments:

  1. Julie...I love reading your updates and never find them boring.

    I also love commenting on your posts. I also love receiving answers to comments. Have you thought of answering some of your comments lately?:-)

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy,

      Thanks for your reply. Sorry I haven't replied to comments in a long time. I am typically screened-out when I get home from work in the evenings and often don't even open my personal computer.

      One comment of yours to which I always intended to respond was a request for a picture-how-to on cutting mangoes. I even had planned to have a friend shoot the pics while I cut and sliced the fruit (as it's a messy job). Sadly, the photo shoot never took place and thus the blog post never came to fruition. Maybe someday...

      Delete
    2. "Never came to fruition"--LOL! Great sense of fruit humor there.:-) No worries...I will figure out the mangoes. If you could, though, I would love the recipe for the cherry dessert you posted recently. It would make a great addition to my "red dinner" idea I've been mulling over for Valentine's Day.:-)

      ~ Betsy

      Delete
  2. Compare and contrast. We are on the second of three weeks of writing compare and contrast essays.

    ReplyDelete