Friday, January 16, 2015

Michigan Meat Pies (Pasties)


Naomi and I have fun times creating things together in the kitchen. Before I flew back to the States at the end of October, I was already planning to have a pasty-making day. When I shared the idea with Naomi, she was more than happy to celebrate this part of our Michigan heritage with me (even though we're southerners). Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to make pasties together those few days before I moved to Pennsylvania in November.

We postponed our pasty date until Christmas break. Finally, two days before I had to leave our mitten state, we made pasties.




oh yes we did (we wanted enough for the freezer-- they reheat beautifully)



No one in Michigan calls pasties meat pies, but... to me they're our Michigan variation of a food trail that's well-known and loved all over the world. Meat, veggies, spices-- wrapped in delicious dough (baked. fried -EEK!- roasted, or boiled). In Zambia we called them meat pies. In Michigan we call them pasties [pass-teas]. I call these food pockets YUM-- though I don't recommend the steak and kidney version (a Livingstone special), and I love the homemade versions way more than the King Pie versions...

Michigan pasties are a remnant of yooper [you-per] (um, that's a U.P. term... and UP is short for Upper Peninsula) miners. As history goes, the hearty pies were especially satisfying for hard-working miners on lunch break underground.

Traditional pasty recipes often have rutabaga. Although some folks enjoy their pasties with gravy, authentic pasties are served just as they are-- heated on a shovel in a mine if you please. As far as flavor inside the pie, the potato/carrot/rutabaga/meat filling is generously seasoned with black pepper.


I'd love to share our recipe with you, but, well... we didn't really use a recipe for the filling. We did however follow a recipe for the dough. [disclaimer: pasty dough is NOT health-food. This wonderful crust does make delicious, golden pies though!]

Naomi and I had lots of fun on our pasty day and we all enjoyed our pasty dinner, and I know the future (frozen) meals  will be well-enjoyed as well.

and... a little bit of Michigan cherry delight for dessert! yummm.

3 comments:

  1. Those look amazing! As does the dessert--can you share a recipe for that?

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy-

      Sadly, we don't have a recipe for the dessert. Here's how we made it, though: In the bottom of a square glass dish, we put leftover chocolate cake crumbles. Then, I cooked some frozen tart cherries with a bit of sugar and thickened them with cornstarch. I poured the cherry sauce over the chocolate cake pieces and chilled the dessert. We served it topped with whipped cream.

      Delete
  2. Sounds easy enough...thanks much-ly!:-)

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete