Wednesday, May 22, 2013

How to make meat pies


gather the ingredients
Slowly, Heather and I are learning how to cook Zambian style. Recently, I invited a friend over to teach me how she makes her amazing meat pies. What a good time we had.

I hope I captured the directions well enough that you can make your own meat pies too! As we say here in Zambia, they’re quite, “Taste.” [“Tasty” with the smallest ever hint of “y” at the end]

prep the meat and potatoes

cook

mix (add tomato and a bit of each: ginger, garlic, salt, oil)

make the dough (using the potato water, flour, salt, baking powder, and a bit of oil)
roll dough; stuff and fold (seal with flour/water paste)

place on greased and floured pan

then bake.
then eat.

oooo. la. la.
la.la.la.la.


*btw- I hope you don't mind that I’m posting about food. Again. Life has been hectic lately, so while that yields itself nicely to providing stories for posts, it often leaves much to be desired in the line of photos to match those stories. Something about gazing upon a great presentation of successful culinary inspiration motivates me to grab for my camera to share the moment with the rest of the world, or at least with my sisters! When I’m finished, I’m left with a blog post just waiting to tell the food story.

However, lest you think I share every culinary adventure, I haven't even mentioned such things as pumpkin soup and banana orange muffins and pumpkin pancakes and freshly toasted ground nuts and peanut butter honey cookies (ok, so those were kind of a flop…) and pumpkin smoothies and coffee cake muffins for tea and homemade yogurt and easy-one-bowl veggie salad and iced chocolate and honey cinnamon granola with flax seeds…

3 comments:

  1. Don't mind food posts at all, especially international experiments! Only problem is, they always make me hungry.:-)

    My comment is missing on "auntie Love" post. Trouble with your internet again?

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come home and make them for me.

    I made ground turkey burgers with spinach and feta. Oh how I wished you and Amanda were here to share them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my. We need to do dinner with Amanda when we're both back!

      Delete