Thursday, May 23, 2013

Wings of a Dove


More than once I've read David’s words from Psalm 55:6 and felt a heart connection with his cry. Oh that I had wings like a dove and could flee far away…

Not that fleeing from life’s problems is the solution for dealing with challenges, but there are times when getting away for refreshment is definitely in order. After all, as David notes later in Psalm 55, God is our Refuge.

At the encouragement of several friends, I decided it was time for me to flee from the demands of Nahumba and spend some time away— out with the birds of Zambia for a few days.

my private chalet
inside
up :)

complete with a private toilet/washroom
Masuku Lodge, popular for its birding tours, had been highly recommended to me, and I wasn't disappointed. You can see why.
the dam

the main house, where meals are served
It was blissful. Just marvelous. There I was, less than 30 kilometres from home, but in the middle of nowhere—with no phone service, no internet, no people. Nothing except the beauty of nature and the luxury of lovely accommodation and meals. People dialed and redialed my cell phone, problems came to the door at Nahumba, urgent matters arose, but I didn't have to deal with those things. The world moved on while I sat on the lawn, gazed out over the dam, listened to the birds, and drank mugs and mugs of tea…

perfect. perfect. perfect.
(looking from the main house toward the dam)

I walked and jogged for miles each day, basking in the sunshine and feasting on the Michigan sky [In Zambia, a “Michigan sky” is bright, light blue with puffy, white clouds; a "Pennsylvania sky" is smaller-looking, more gray and overcast]. No one yelled at me. No one laughed as I wandered past. Instead, I was surrounded by scads of butterflies and birds, and the occasional annoying fly circling my head. I happened upon a few bush bucks, four donkeys, and two water pigs who were as startled to see me as I was to discover them. All that meandering through the bush, and I only saw one snake! [Thanks again to my friend Rebecca's grandma who prays for protection from snakes for Heather and I; her prayers are powerful and effective.]



The setting was exactly what I was looking for, a quiet place to pray and think and read and listen. Absolutely glorious.

It was so wonderful, in fact, that I got the brilliant idea of sending my parents to Masuku Lodge for their anniversary next month. Only problem is the flight from Michigan to Zambia… Maybe Plan B is in order.


main house lounge
main house looking toward dining room
tea service in every room :)

Thanks to each of you who prayed for me during my time away. I had a refreshing stay at Masuku Lodge, and highly recommend this lovely place.

the road back to the real world

4 comments:

  1. With ALL those mugs of tea I'm glad you had your own private toilet:) Glad too you had a refreshing time. Looks like a wonderful place to chill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Glorious" is a perfect way to describe this time away, Julie. The setting was just lovely, and the time alone was obviously very refreshing. So glad you could experience this gift!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it. You sound like Amy or something. How could you like being all by yourself for so long. Whew I think I would have died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah... idk what's happening to me... No one here could understand how I could enjoy being alone for that long either. It has something to do with all the people and demands and responsibilities that are part of every day life. Can really wear on me. I think all the processing of so many things being in a different culture as well. I hadn't spent enough time just thinking (you know me...) the last few months either, so I had that stored up too :).

      Delete