Monday, May 6, 2013

Scones


Scones are wildly popular here in Zambia. Periodically, Heather and I enjoy Spar's bakery scones, which cost less than fifty cents each. Heather's favorite are coconut, and I enjoy the raisin ones.

I've only baked scones a handful of times, but I recently decided it was time to bake a batch of scones. It might just be because I used fresh oranges from our tree, but these scones turned out fabulous. They were super easy to make as well... so, I thought you might like the recipe, even though it's not really orange season in the US (at least not in Michigan!).


Orange Yogurt Scones

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

combine above dry ingredients
then cut in:
3 Tablespoons butter or margarine

in a separate bowl combine:
3/4 cup plain yogurt (I added a smidge of orange extract to mine)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest

combine wet and dry ingredients just until crumbly
turn out and knead (about 10 times) just until dough comes together
pat the dough into a circle and cut into 8 wedges

Bake at 400F (~205C) for about 15 minutes or until golden.
Serve with tea to your best friends :)

*These would also be great drizzled with orange icing for an extra special occasion*

5 comments:

  1. Yummy, yummy these look good.
    N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummm....I have spring break this week. I get to go to the ladies bible study on Wednesday. Maybe I'll try making these. I have oranges that are needing to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libby made these, well not the exact recipe, while she was here!! They were SO good! She made chocolate chip scones instead of orange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie, am excited to try your recipe. Am in California, a fellow Zambian and proud too! Keep you posted and feeling blest to know you are a kingdom child!

    ReplyDelete