Tuesday, November 3, 2015

6 mile AT hike-- take #6 or #7


If I believed in bad luck, I'd say I've had quite a case of it when planning hiking excursions here in Pennsylvania. One of my workmates is convinced that if I am invited on a hike the chances of bad weather on the hike day are greatly increased...

A friend from Mexico is visiting in Pennsylvania for a couple months and invited two of my coworkers, Sara, and I for a six-mile hike on the Appalachian Trail back in September. Our scheduled hike day dawned and we were in the middle of a major rain storm (edge of a hurricane), so we had to cancel our plans.

We kept trying to reschedule, but our calendars were not meshing well...

Finally, Vicky's "take #6 or #7" date suggestion was a winner for four of the five of us.



We couldn't have had a more perfect day for the hike. The air was crisp (60ish), but it wasn't cold while hiking. The trees were all turning colors, and the late afternoon sunlight shimmered through the clouds and woods.

When we arrived in Boiling Springs (a charming little town with an adorable tiny lake surrounded by buildings from the 1800's), the sun was setting, and the red maples around the lake painted brilliant hues on the water. It was the kind of beauty that etches peace into the soul.

Our hike was ultimate refreshment after a brain-frying work week.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds wonderful! I am so glad you finally were able to make the hike.

    ReplyDelete