Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Visit to Gettysburg

General Lee and his horse Traveller

Since Gettysburg is less than an hour drive from where I live in Pennsylvania, it has been on my "list of places to visit" out here in the East.
It was such a treat to spend last Wednesday visiting Gettsyburg with my four youngest siblings. We had PERFECT weather (over 70F!) for our car-picnic and the driving portion of our visit. We all also enjoyed the museum, film, and cyclorama.

Last time I visited the battlefields at Gettsyburg was over 20 years ago, so it was good (albeit very sad!) to have a history refresher on the events at Gettysburg :)

Joel and Judith lent us their van for the day


looking out from Little Round Top





it wasn't too difficult to imagine soldiers hiding in rocky areas

view of Devil's Den (left) from Little Round Top
I didn't realize how far guns and cannons could shoot during the time of the Civil War until reading information at Gettysburg.

what a bunch of active tourists... ha.
(looking down at Brian, Libby, and Logan when Naomi and I climbed up the memorial on Little Round Top)

looking toward tree-covered Big Round Top


we climbed up a TALL lookout tower

...and I decided we should try a selfie.
Well, it's a nice shot of almost all of us ;)

Naomi's self-timer shot is much better.

The sun was setting as we left the battlefields.

1 comment: