Saturday, September 23, 2017

Kix


I bought a box of Kix recently, and was sadly disappointed with its contents.

Kix do not taste the same as they did when I was a kid.
And just in case you're about to say, "That's because you forgot what they tasted like," or "that's just because you have grown-up taste buds now,"-- it's not:

I conferred with two of my sisters who whole-heartedly agree that
Kix are not the same as they were when we were kids.

General Mills changed the recipe.
(something about whole grains I think)

and:
we kids didn't test and approve them.
(I don't know about the moms)


Kix used to be lightly sweetened, yellowish (relatively natural looking, though) balls of corn cereal that lightly crisp-crunched in one's mouth.

Now, Kix are grayish-yellow (probably no traces of food coloring at all), hard-crunchy, wanna-be puffed circle balls (they're not even truly round) that have a meal-y after taste.
:(


Although the orange boxes with classic blue letters are still plastered with the slogan
"Kid tested. Mother approved."
the kid part isn't accurate.

That's this big kid's opinion anyway.

And I don't plan to buy another box of modern Kix for a very long time.

2 comments:

  1. That's why I stick with Captain Crunch
    Uncle Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes growing up stinks. My girls are stuck on Lucky Charms (or as Kendra says Lucky Arms), and Girl Scout Chocolate Mint Cookie cereals. As you can imagine I cringe every time I have to serve these bowls of sugar for breakfast. Recently a box of Fruity flavored Kix showed up in the pantry. It was opened, evidence that someone had tried it, however I couldn't get any takers at breakfast so it appeared that it didn't pass the super sweet test. In an effort to make the box disappear so it wouldn't take up valuable shelf space I started sending Fruity Kix as a snack...and it has disappeared each time. It appears Kix is not doing well on either the healthy or sweet spectrum.

    ReplyDelete