Monday, May 21, 2018

Playing Tourist in Lancaster


Once upon a time Vicky, Heather, and I decided we wanted to play tourists in Lancaster. Since Vicky's calendar books months in advance, way back in the winter, we picked a Saturday in May to block for touring. Sadly, Heather wound up having a schedule conflict and couldn't join, but Vicky and I decided to proceed with our tourist date anyway.


Of course we started the morning at the Lancaster's Central Market-- which was established in 1730!
We bought veggies, flowers, and lunch.


Vicky in her shopping element; she shops at Central Market once or twice a week.
Notice her shopping basket from Zambia and shopping bag handmade by Betsy. :)

This one is for Aunt Carolyn.




We stopped at an oil and vinegar shoppe and did lots of tasting. 
Oh my! I'm pretty sure I could become a vinegar-tasting-connoisseur. 
I had no idea there were sooooo many different kinds of balsamic vinegar. I didn't even know there were white balsamic vinegars. That store is filled with a vast world of flavor combinations. wow!
Maybe when I retire from being an accountant I can take up some type of tasting analysis job. 




We stumbled upon the Lancaster Pickle Company, which is definitely worth a tourist stop.
Fresh pickles, homemade there in the store. Unique flavor combinations-- including horseradish, taco, and lemon pepper. Vicky and I gave the taco pickles a thumbs down, but all the other flavors we tried were great.

pickle-tasting

The weather was pretty crumby, but we managed with our umbrellas and rain jackets, and spending most of our time inside instead of outside. However, we were still able to enjoy a little picnic lunch midday.


stopping for a salad refuel

Ever been to a Spice and Tea Exchange?
They're great!


And then there was the baby shoppe...

It was a big choice to decide which one of these fluffy little guys would be coming home with me.
Any guesses who won out?


Lancaster is known for its row of galleries, and we had a great time exploring and enjoying local, original paintings.

To wrap up our fun tourist day, we stopped at a second-hand clothes shop, and then at a greenhouse where Vicky picked up some annuals to pot on her patio.

We had a wonderful day together; I highly recommend practicing local tourism.


note: Thanks to Vicky for some of the photos in this post.

3 comments:

  1. "I highly recommend practicing local tourism." What a Michigander!

    PS It is great to see someone properly use a semicolon; in my line of work, proper semicolon usage is rare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a lot of fun. Vinegar and pickle stores interesting !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...you two packed a lot in one day...sounds like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete