Tuesday, December 11, 2012

12.12.12

Today is a special day.

Even though I'm not home this morning, I can picture my parents. After they're done praying together before Dad leaves for work, Mom will get up and go to the wall of photo books in the living room. She'll take the one from 1986 and open it.

Twenty-six years ago today I entered the world-- a stubborn, dark-haired baby, the fourth in the line of Cooklings. I can picture myself there in the hospital room, wrapped in mom's exhausted arms. The doctor was almost ready to start a C-section, because of my position in labor. Dad prayed, and I turned and was delivered. Of nine babies, I think I was the roughest labor mom had.

Who knew just over a quarter century later I'd be an accountant in Africa? Even though I'm far from home and all my family's traditional birthday celebrations, I still feel the same love enfolding me that I experienced that first day of my life. I'm so thankful for the family in which God placed me.

So, Happy Birthday to Me! I love birthdays, because I love to celebrate the life God gives.

For the past twelve months, when folks asked my age, I told them I was a quarter of a century. Now my quarter-of-a-century year is up. Maybe I'll try "2 times 13" for 2013-? Then again, maybe I'll just be conventional and say, "Twenty-six."

5 comments:

  1. So thankful for YOU!
    Ephesians 2:10 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!
    We love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying tears missing you on your birthday. But guess what, I had birthday cake at our birthday party at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe I missed this one...happy belated birthday, Julie! Hope it was joyful, even though it was very different from all your other birthdays!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete