Friday, December 14, 2012

Possible or not, here I come

photo complements de Google
I know it's far out, but I recently set out on a search for a delicious cookie recipe that 1) Used no Crisco (we can't buy shortening here, and didn't bring any with us), 2) Didn't use butter, or only used minimal amounts (butter is around $6.00 a pound here), 3) Didn't use margarine either (I'm just not a margarine fan), and last but not least, 4) Still tasted like a COOKIE.

Impossible?

Probably.

But, I decided to set my lofty goal anyway.

Friends, I have amazing news:

The other day I was perusing a well-loved, classic Mennonite cookbook (i.e. over two-thirds of the book covers the categories: cookies, cakes, desserts, and candies), and discovered a delightful surprise on page 254 in the "Cookies" section. At first glance over the ingredients, I wondered if the recipe was a mistake, but based on the hand-written "very good, easy, soft cookie," I became hopeful.

Cinnamon Cookies was the original label over this recipe, but I combined the original recipe with the handwritten notes surrounding it and now introduce to you...

photo not compliments de Google

African Cookies

combine:
3/4 cup sugar
1 and 1/2 Tablespoon cocoa

add and beat with sugar mixture:
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract

sift/combine:
1 and 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
a bit of salt

1/4 cup chocolate chips

After beating the sugar mixture and eggs and mint flavor, add the flour mixture and combine. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop batter by tablespoon on greased baking sheet (the cookies puff in the oven). Bake at 375F (190C) about 10 minutes or until done (middles should still be soft). This recipe made about 1.5 dozen gems
(I halved the original ingredients, because I didn't want lots of cookie flops hanging around my kitchen if they didn't turn out well).

Enjoy, share, enjoy, repeat.

These cookies are a bit meringue-ish because of the eggs, and also more cake-like than gooey.
I've already been dreaming of how to use this basic recipe to make coconut cookies, orange cookies, lemon cookies...

If you don't want to bake your own batch, just stop by for tea and I'll be happy to serve you some.

p.s. If you have any magical cookie recipes that meet the stiff stipulations listed above, please do tell!

5 comments:

  1. Wonders never cease :) What time's tea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. necessity-the mother of African Cookies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie...ask, and ye shall receive.:-) Here are 2 recipes to try, using your very available pb.

    Peanut Butter cookies:
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 egg
    1 cup peanut butter

    Combine all by hand. Roll into balls and place on cookie sheet; smash flat with fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Yields 1-1/2 cookies.

    Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/4 cup honey
    2 TB oil
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup "brown" flour:-) (I use half white, half wheat)

    Mix, roll into balls, and flatten with fork on greased baking sheet. Bake in preheated 350 oven about 8-10 minutes. These stay small and dainty, but they have a very creamy texture and flavor. Yields about 18 small cookies.

    Enjoy! ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete