Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Soap and Sugar

I have not ceased to be amazed at the amount of soap Zambians use—or the number of baths they take each day! I am also still astonished at the number of spoons of sugar the average Tonga dumps into each cup of “tea” multiple times a day.


Soap and sugar.
Baths and tea.
Cold and hot.
Buckets and mugs.
Bathing rooms and kitchens.
Clean and dirty.
Outside and inside.
Baths and tea.
Soap and sugar.



(that’s about as close as this accountant can get to composing poetry)

4 comments:

  1. I love your poem!

    Do they do showers?

    I've been known to take more than one shower a day recently. Working in the garden during monsoon can leave me dripping by 10 AM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you!

    Baths are the norm. Everyone "baths" (not "bathes")-- though most often they're bucket baths, so perhaps more like a shower than a bath. We bath, because we don't have a shower ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seen lately a person that made soups out of sugar. The sugar naturally exfoliates and the essential oils cleanse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love poetry! And I love what you wrote!

    ~Roma

    ReplyDelete