Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Official Alien


Long before I moved to Zambia, I knew I was a stranger and alien (Ephesians 2:19, 1 Peter 2:11). My life has included more than a few moments of pain that I just chalk up to the "alien factor." Accept the truth and move on...

Here-- in a culture so different than the one in which I was raised-- more than ever there are moments when I wonder just what I'm doing, why I'm here, and how come it feels like my life can never just be normal??

You know what I mean: a normal life- living in a great place full of wonderful people, grand experiences, and no stress. A place where organization is the standard and peace is the rule (except rules wouldn't be necessary), where respect and honor aren't challenged by deceit and rebellion...

Actually, that wouldn't be a normal place, because we were all born into a cursed, sin-sick world we call our own. That kind of normal place is the kind of utopic place people have sought after for generations. The only ones who actually find that place are the ones who encounter Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12) and discover true meaning in life-- life that goes way beyond our current physical circumstances.

Enough on the Essay of the Normalcy of Life.

Friends, I'm happy to share the exciting news that my alienship is now official. Last week, after 13+ months of waiting, I received my official Zambian working documentation. With my work permit in hand, I proceeded to the local government office that issues passports and National Registration Cards (NRCs). Everyone here has an NRC (the classic Zambian ID) so I decided to join all my local friends and register for an official NRC too.

But, as you can see, mine is actually an ARC.

I am now registered as an Official Alien.

What can I say? Funny as it sounds, my NRC-er ARC- is 100% accurate.
Who needs a friendly way to speak the truth?!? (or maybe being called an alien is friendly? for all we know, aliens are friendly?? idk...)

ps- Truth is, being an alien is actually normal here-- normal life isn't living in a utopia. Normal life is faithful life here, and eternity with the King in His righteous Kingdom.

3 comments:

  1. To the King. To the Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that "normalcy" that you desire is the natural longing that God has placed in our hearts, for HIM and for HIS kingdom. And for a Christian, that's a perfectly normal feeling!:-)

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog! Thanks Julie. Being an alien is part of my life purpose since my name means "alien, stranger, foreigner."

    ReplyDelete