Wednesday, October 30, 2013

to Josiah

a white rino

Our young friend Josiah loves studying about animals, especially those that live in Africa. On Betsy's second day in Zambia, she and I visited the Mosi-O-Tunya game park in Livingstone so Betsy could see some real, live game animals. The park is popular for its eight white rino! (Rino are rare because they have been severely over-hunted).

It's interesting to note that white rino are not white! Nor are black rino black. In fact, there is no difference in color between white and black rino. Instead, their mouths are shaped differently. White rino's mouths are rectangular, and black rino's mouths have a point at the top!

These and other fascinating facts are things we learned on our mini walking safari.

At the rate Josiah's going, sounds to me like he might be a safari guide himself in twenty years!

the Zambezi






3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post, Julie! I never knew that white rinos were not white, but I had noticed the difference in their mouths. I do want to study zoology when I grow up!

    ~ Love, Josiah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natale says: Julie looks cute. It looks like she is going on a safari.

    ReplyDelete