Thursday, June 19, 2014

4x4

Amos playing bushtruck

Before I moved to Zambia, one of the parts of life in this place that was most daunting to me was the thought of driving (a manual. on the left side of the road. in a foreign country...).


Driving is something I do out of necessity. Not only is it expensive to pay for fuel, insurance, and vehicle repairs, it’s probably one of the more dangerous things we routinely do. Having been involved in more than one serious auto wreck, I particularly dislike being behind the wheel more than necessary.

Amos hiding under another tree

However, upon moving to Zambia and polishing my stick-driving abilities… I discovered that I rather like bush driving. Last week I had the privilege of having to drive through lots of thick sand, so thick it required four-wheel-drive! Driving highlight of the month :)


Most of our 942.6 kilometre trip was on tarmac roads (some of it was on a pothole road… I’m talking: lose-your-car-in-this-hole potholed road…), but the off-road portion of the adventure was my favorite part of the drive.

unfortunately, I have no pictures of the off-road (or potholed road) driving...
because I was too busy driving to take pictures

this looks like a small pothole... it is :)
(just happens to be the only picture I have of any potholes)

this was a park-n-walk stop
(park by the road; walk to the house)





Who knew that I’d move to Zambia and not only learn to enjoy driving a manual vehicle, but also to love navigating the bush in four-wheel-drive… who knew?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment