Friday, October 3, 2014

Reason #17 Why I Love Living In Choma

[...in looking through old drafts on my blog board, I rediscovered this one. It was never posted last year due to lack of a good photo, but... It's still screaming for some screen time. I think it's about time to share this list of reasons I love living in Choma, Zambia.]

a picture with our mechanic's son at Vic Falls (August)

#17. We have an amazing mechanic who goes above and beyond

I mean, how many times in the last six months have you had dinner and an evening of fellowship with your mechanic and his family? How many times in the past three months has your mechanic made a house call to check something on your vehicle? How many times this year has your mechanic spent an entire Saturday servicing your vehicle?

etc.

In Michigan, my dad and brothers took great care of my auto needs and regularly serviced Einstein, my car. In preparing for moving to Zambia, I learned part of my responsibilities here at Nahumba would include licensing and maintaining the mission's mini fleet (2 double cabs and 1 mini bus). yeeks. I admit wondering how that was going to work out... it's tricky enough finding honest mechanics in the States let alone in another country...

When it comes to things like loose fan belts, waning alternators, blown exhaust systems, cranky starters, smokey emissions, and other such auto basics, I consider myself an adequate diagnose-er. The fixing of such automotive issues is another story. hee hee.

And as you well know-- unless one was born to a Mr. fix-it, is dating a wrencher, or happens to have a sib or best bud who never tires of grease and engines, a good mechanic is rare to come by.

The One who orders my steps came here before me, though, and our incredible mechanic and his family continue to be a blessing in our every-day Nahumba adventures.

Here's a shout out to Niza Auto Works-- my favorite Choma auto shop.



ps- Here are a few other reasons I love my Zambian life:

*On a recent walk (10 minutes from home), we stopped to chat with four people we knew along the way-- our pastor, two work colleagues, and our carpenter
*Most of the year it's sunny and warm (yea even hot)
*I never have to pump petrol or diesel (all service stations are full service)
*Choma Spar's fruit scones (2 for less than $1)
*Nahumba is in the "country" but close to town. just like home in Michigan.
*Tea. every. day. tea.
*We happen to have a piano... it doesn't sound good, but, hey, it's a piano! (musical instruments- aside from traditional drums- are rare here)
*"Just put it on the tab" (I love to say that-- and then just pay once a month)
*Mangos, avocados, groundnuts (peanuts), and bananas are all grown locally!
*I walk to church and cycle to gym
*Zesco (electricity) is on most of the time
*Great neighbors
*Every time I'm in town, I see and greet people I know-- bank tellers, security guards, church members...
*Ample room for entertaining visitors
*A fully stocked kitchen
*Incredible water supply (we don't have to filter our drinking water)
*Flowers bloom all year long here
*Flip flops are called tropicals, which is just down-right fun
*Outdoor markets are the norm and fruit and vegetables are peddled along the streets
*Wonderbake.    'nough said
*My incredible teamie, Heather  [remember: this list was compiled last year when Heather was here. This year, I have another incredible teamie, Sara, for whom I am also very grateful!]
*Zambian Kwacha (our money) is pretty colors (plus the exchange rate is a simple conversion number)
*We can get somewhere just by walking--  to lunch, to visit friends, to town, just for fresh air, etc. etc.

1 comment:

  1. I still want to incorporate "tropicals" into my every day vocabulary. I just need more reasons to have conversations about tropicals to make it stick.

    ReplyDelete