Thursday, October 30, 2014

going home

home home home, that is.

together for a normal evening meal last year with my family

I say-- it can get a bit confusing having so many homes!... There's home, which has been Nahumba Zambia for the past two years, and then there's home home, which is my beloved Cookie House, and then there's home home home, which is my parents' house, where I grew up...

If all goes well in the air and below... I'll be HOME (home home & home home home) today!

The other day, in preparation for leaving Zambia, I flipped through some old blog posts. I read a few (like this one, and this one, and this one) that warmed my heart and reminded me of all sorts of things to look forward to about  home. Plus, I looked though some family photos from last Christmas (I was here in Zambia so you won't see me in any of the shots; thanks to Naomi for sharing from her photo stash).

I LOVE my family.

time for some sledding!

annual pizza game night at New Year's

Christmas at the Cookie House


I remember playing Funny Bones with the aunts and uncles as a kid...
such fun!

it's so much fun having little people in our family once again!


Ok.
Well... anyway-
Just like last year, I compiled another list of some items I'm anticipating back home in Michigan:


Betsy and I last December, just before I returned to Zambia

  • Back massages with Betsy (she gives the best, you know...)
  • Dinner at Dad and Mom's
  • Real ice cream (chocolate and cherry chocolate chunk especially)
  • Sweaters and scarves (think positive. think positive. I do love scarves, I do... I'm rather concerned about freezing in Michigan coming from Zambia's hot season)
  • Being a passenger (not driving everywhere)
  • The Cookie House
  • Being neighbors with Brother Byler (his business is across the road)
  • Baking fruit muffins (blueberry, raspberry, peach, etc.)- oh, and gingersnap muffins too... so perfect for Autumn
  • Target (what a great store!)
  • Quaker Life and Quaker Oatmeal Squares (love those things...) [breakfast cereal]
  • Drinking tea with Amy
  • Hot showers
  • Cooking on a gas range
  • Logan's maple syrup (a bit odd as I'm not a huge maple syrup fan, but I miss using it as a sweetener when baking)
  • Apples and applesauce (I hope they're as cheap as I remember them being!)
  • Salmon for dinner (ooolala)
  • Home improvements at the Cookie House
  • Playing Dad's piano
  • Pinconning cheese (especially the garlic herb block, and horseradish dip)
  • Non-crackling cell connections (I hope.) ...I dare not even hope for a good internet connection... IF that happens, I just want to be shocked beyond belief... because... I'm not sure they actually exists.
  • Bagels (oh. yum. oh. yum.)


Of course, as always, the best part of being home home home is being together with my family. I'm also looking forward to reconnecting with my Michigan friends.

As far as the weather goes... um. From what I hear, it's actually quite similar in Zambia and in Michigan these days... think: 30's (C) Zambia and 30's (F) Michigan... honestly, I'm not sure how I.will.survive....

1 comment:

  1. Target? I didn't know this about you!

    Welcome Home Home Home! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete