Friday, September 4, 2015

hot diggity dog diggity... Hotchee Dog!

a good 'ol Hamilton Hotchee Dog

A few weeks ago during a staff meeting, Rick discovered that many of us at work had never before eaten a Hotchee Dog... 
In fact, some of us didn't even know Hotchee Dogs existed!


To increase our knowledge and experience in local culture, Rick planned an end-of-summer Hotchee Dog event at the Hamilton Restaurant in Carlisle. My workmates and I were all invited!


The Hamilton is legendary among locals. 
It's sort of a diner type restaurant, and while Hotchee Dogs and Hotchee Burgers are the classic fare, patrons can order from a generous variety of items on the menu (someone in our group ordered a gyro). 


Since it was my first time to the Hamilton, and since Hotchee Dogs are the specialty, 
I went classic and ordered a Hotchee Dog.

A Hotchee Dog is a hot dog wrapped in a bun that is lined with white American cheese and a squirt of mustard, and topped with a scoop of mild chili sauce (old family recipe) and a handful of shaved onion. 
All the flavors are basic (not spicy or bold), even the chili sauce and onion.


What's up with the name? you wonder...
I wondered that too.
They tell me it's a strung-together version of a "hot dog with cheese."


And... How was it? you ask...

Well, it was a great cultural experience to visit the Hamilton.
And it was wonderful to be in the company of all these amazing workmates...

but...


I think I'll leave Hotchee Dogs to the locals :)




ps- Our Hotchee Dog tasting reminded me of the time Dad bought us Beach Burritos (a local favorite) when we were in South Haven, Michigan for a few hours some years ago. A Beach Burrito is a hot dog and bun wrapped inside a tortilla! I never needed a second Beach Burrito either...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun to go even if the hot dog wasn't worth a second time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for trying! You never know if you don't give it a try.

    ReplyDelete