Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Heritage

sorry... definitely should have taken the picture without plastic wrap

Since it's October, which is family reunion month, I celebrated my heritage last week by baking Great Grandma's Molasses Cookies to share at the office for Tuesday break. The few coworkers who were not on diets and enjoy molasses (you see why I say few) gave me rave reviews on the excellence of the cookies. I'm pretty sure great grandma never had any idea where her great grandchildren would wind up or that some of us would still be baking her recipes which grandma wrote down and passed along to us (since, from what I hear, great grandma didn't really need fancy recipes with exact and standard measurements). Who knows if my cookies tasted just like hers... because I did use measurements for mine, and because we all have unique ways of creating the same recipes even when using the same ingredients... but there's nothing to remind me of my heritage quite like a giant classic cookie (molasses or sugar with nutmeg). 

I guess I have a delicious heritage :).

4 comments:

  1. and you rolled them in sugar true to your heritage rather than personal healthy Julie who skips that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I figured I better stick to the original method.

      Delete
    2. Who would think of ever making these without the sugar roll?!

      Delete