Thursday, May 7, 2020

face masks, of course


I decided to jump on the mask-making wagon a few weeks ago, just to try my hand at this little project that's currently rocking the Pinterest and Etsy world as folks are in a frenzy and (here in PA) the governor is requiring masks be worn when in public.

note: since I'm using the ironing board as a desk extension in my remote office, I had to get extra creative with the iron for this project!

After extensive research, I settled on a three-pleat style pattern with homemade ties at each corner, a piece of muslin as a "filter" layer, and four twist ties sewn in place at the nose. 

According to CDC guidelines, these masks now provide some level of protection to others (in case of necessary human contact outside our apartment), and each mask can be worn a maximum of 2 hours before laundering! 

It seems we are left with some combination of a few options: 
1) very limited external exposure with other humans (less than 2 hours at a time)
2) lots of laundry breaks in case of human exposure beyond 2 hours
3) breathing more than the recommended ppm of our own germs 
{wearing a mask for +2 hours at a time, or, gasp... re-wearing a reusable mask before washing...}
4) a need for more masks as the COVID season continues


1 comment:

  1. Cute masks...crazy times! Keith's care agency provided me with masks and gloves (good thing since I can't sew. Now if I can only remember where I stashed the extra gloves...ugh!

    ReplyDelete