Thursday, September 5, 2013

goodbye green

the kitchen in December 2012


Anyone who's stepped foot inside the back door of our house for any length of time in the past decade would probably describe our kitchen in one word: GREEN 
(unless, perhaps, said person were color blind!)


Heather and I have been working on some home repair projects, and we decided to tackle the huge job of repainting the 30+ kitchen cupboards and drawers. The mint green paint was very old and worn, but the job was very big and daunting, making it quite understandable why the kitchen hadn't been repainted previously.


We began one Friday (actually we began many days before... buying the paint, etc... but that's too long of a story to share today...)


Heather is a trooper when it comes to painting. I, on the other hand, am a wimp.
Heather enjoys painting; I do not.
Heather can stand painting with oil paint for hour after hour of the tedious task; I can barely breath, and wind up with a headache about 3 minutes after a can of oil paint has been opened.


Heather painted not one, but TWO entire coats of white, oil-based undercoat (primer) to cover the old, green paint.


Heather painted and painted and painted. She painted so hard that she quirked a nerve in her back and could hardly move the next day.

{insert sad face}



meanwhile... while Heather was busy in the kitchen, I was tackling my [seemingly never-ending] curtain project-- updating the four sets of curtains in the dining room and sitting room.

Thankfully we had no disasters with the wet paint + new fabric combo! 
whew.

exhibit #1 (sitting room)

exhibit #2 (sitting room)


Finally it was time to begin painting the top coat.


Our kitchen is so full of cupboards and drawers (which I absolutely love!) that the kitchen will BE whatever color those cupboards and drawers are painted (as opposed to whatever color is on the bit of kitchen walls that are showing).

coat #1
Thankfully, the top coat was water paint (acrylic), so I helped Heather with some of the painting.

coat #2

coat #3!

And... I just realized we never took photos of the bottom half of the kitchen now that it's put back together! 

sorry!

I'll have to post those soon.

P.S. If you don't like the color, please keep your comments to yourself :).
Heather and I think the new shade (tan/beige/brown... call it whatever you like) is pretty fantastic.

3 comments:

  1. Great paint job Heather....from one painter to another-that was quite an undertaking. I think those that follow in your African footsteps will appreciate a more neutral tone that allows them to bring in colors that they enjoy. Color is a wonderful tool but overused or used incorrectly it's power can turn negative.

    Julie-the African theme are a great "signature" of your time there.

    You both do that house proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bought some paint for my kitchen door yesterday. Make me want to get started now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. new color is pretty - BUT I like the green too - it reminds me of my Uncle Henry's kitchen (though I am not sure it was green!) - though seeing it everyday would be little much. Glad your project is done! (and it appears you will never need any more tupperware containers EVER!)

    ReplyDelete