Wednesday, September 4, 2013

wheat bran

I acknowledge I am an odd creature.

Lately I’ve been organizing lists of ideas and notes I have jotted in different places over the past 10 months—things I want to do with Betsy when she comes to visit, items I wish I had brought from home, places I want to visit in Michigan, stuff I need to buy when I’m in the States, etc.

Pens, deodorant, tea, gym shoes, dish rags, muffin liners, Swiss pins… the lists go on and on…

The other day I opened three separate notes on my iPod… the first item on the first list: wheat bran muffins, the last item on second list: wheat bran, and first item on third list: wheat bran (followed by “wheat germ, flax seed/meal, black beans, and dried fruit – cranberries”)

Oh my.

I didn’t realize how nutty I really am. My wish lists from Zambia are full of wheat bran.

my bag of re-purposed animal feed :)

Now that I’ve made my initial love-of-wheat-bran confession, I must also tell you the next part of my Zambian wheat bran story. A couple months ago, a Canadian friend showed up at our door bearing gifts—bags (and bags!) of freshly milled wheat bran (the bran was originally intended for animal feed, but she was able to purchase some 25kgs for a mere $3… it’s a long story). “I’ve been baking wheat bran muffins like crazy,” she said. “Could you use some wheat bran?”

Could I use some wheat bran?
Could I use some wheat bran?
Could I use some WHEAT BRAN?

Yes.

Yes I could.
Yes I did.
Yes I love it.

Yes, I thanked my Heavenly Father who knows not only my needs, but also my little heart’s wishes (no one else read those three notes on my iPod!)… and who so graciously provides me with good and perfect gifts…

like wheat bran.

photo compliments of Google.
My muffins turned out looking like this, though

And if you like wheat bran muffins as much as I do, I’d be happy to share one next time you stop by for tea. (And if you don’t like wheat bran muffins as much as I do, I’d be happy to hoard mine in the freezer and eat them all myself!)

Kathy's Wheat Bran Muffins
(with Julie's minor adjustments)

1/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar (I use less)
1/4 cup molasses or honey
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 and 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
cinnamon (optional)
raisins (optional)

Cream margarine and sugar. Add molasses/honey and eggs; beat well. Add milk and bran; stir thoroughly. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt (and cinnamon if desired). Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients. Stir just until combined. Add raisins if desired. Spoon batter into 12 greased muffin tins. Bake at 210C (400F) for 15 minutes or until done. Share and Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I think your love of wheat bran muffins was passed down to you from Grandma Nelson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honored to be the recipient of such a love :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, I didn't know you ever followed a recipe that well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um. That's not nutty. It's flakey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's not nutty; it's flakey.

    ReplyDelete