Saturday, November 9, 2013

Another Long Trip

hanging out in the Chicago airport waiting for our final flight home-- 30+ hours since departing Lusaka

After...

  • approximately 40 hours of travel
  • 4 flights (one of which was 18 hours and included a movie marathon)
  • 4 sky meals and 2 granola bars
  • a measly amount of sleep
  • an unknown number of queues, security checks, and passport verification points...
  • and one cancelled flight


Betsy and I arrived safely HOME Wednesday evening!

It was a long trip, but the misery was lessened because we did it together.

We split a KitKat bar at lunch (on the plane), and watched the same movies simultaneously on our screens so we could laugh together, and went through customs points as a team, and wore matching windbreakers (hers was blue, mine was green). We slept on each other and scratched each other's backs and took turns chewing gum from her purse and then gum from mine ;).

I always dreamed of the day I'd travel internationally with someone. Finally, last year, Heather and I traveled to Zambia together (all my previous flight travels-- continental or international-- had been solo). It's great to have a traveling companion. This trip, God blessed Betsy and I with the privilege of flying together. What a special treat.

When we got to Chicago and discovered our flight home had been cancelled so we had an additional 5 hours of layover in the airport, we did what all sensible sisters would do and hunted for some lunch. Nevermind that the salad cost $8 and the bagel cost $3, the important thing is that we made our lunch selections together and paid for them together and ate them together. And after we stopped at McDonald's for two ice cream sundaes, we found two quiet benches out of the way and took naps... together :).

I didn't have anything other than gifts to bring home, so I enjoyed my lightest-ever carry on for this trip!
It hardly had anything inside.

2 comments:

  1. Alternative title: Together. I'm so glad you had a traveling companion. It does make a World (pun intended) of difference. I was a bit worried when I started talking about the gum that you took turns chewing the same stick of gum. Glad you didn't have to share THAT much. Love you both more than the end of international flights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home, friend!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete