Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Do-it-yourself: Organize-that-shelf Box

After visiting my Michigan home, I was inspired to continue my efforts to spruce, purge, and reorganize the house here at Nahumba. There are plenty of things I’d like to change/update. Heather and I accomplished quite a few household projects last year, but “life” happens and I don’t always take time to make cute/fun/practical changes once the every-day routine is rolling.

So, Friday morning’s project was: conquer the second shelf in the bathroom closet… looking at that shelf has left me feeling a bit batty every time I open the closet door (multiple times a day).


If you’d like to do your own bathroom closet re-make, or if you need a cute organization box somewhere else in your house, here’s what I used to make mine:
  • 1 old whisky box (boxes are hard to come by here…) shored up with duct tape
  • 1 piece of used pink wrapping paper from, well, maybe 8 years ago (just a guess)
  • Scissors
  • A pen
  • Clear tape

Instructions:
  1. Once box is reinforced with duct tape, use pen to trace box shape on paper. Cut paper, and tape into place (one piece to fit the bottom of the box, a strip to wrap 3 of the inside sides—or 4 if you have enough paper!)
  2. Trim “V”s in the corners and fold paper to the outside of box, so the inside of the box is fully finished. Tape to secure.
  3. Use remaining paper to wrap the top of the box (cut “V”s, and tape to inside of box at top and sides)
  4. Put your new box in its new home!

Wallah!

I hope you like your box as much as I like mine. All throughout the day Friday, I kept reopening the bathroom closet to admire the reorganized second shelf :).

4 comments:

  1. It's the little things in life. We just worked on organizing the computer room (again) and I get happy each time I walk this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! :)
    And thank you, by the way, for the lovely trivet! :) Lydia gave it to me Sunday.

    ReplyDelete