Monday, December 9, 2013

Sparrows, Lilies and Toothpaste


25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6

beautiful blue birds we have in Zambia (Google Images photo)

Lately, I've been doing lots of collecting. You know-- a purse, new socks, flax seeds, kitchen utensils, chocolate chips... My suitcases are filling up with items from my lists of things I'd like to take back to Zambia with me next week.

Recently as I was rooting through racks of clothes at a used clothing shop my mind drifted to the future. I thought about being away for another year, about the things I need, about what I'll need in the next year... and, yes... about my bank account. One way for me to create stress within myself is to start thinking about the fact that I'll need new socks and shoes, hair ties, and toothpaste next year-- when I don't know if I'll have a job or where I'll be or what I'll be doing... ahhhhhhhhh...

Flaming Lily in Zambia
This stress is unnecessary and unbiblical. Periodically, I turn to Matthew 6 to realign my focus. It's easy for me to get sidetracked thinking about not having a retirement fund, how expensive health care is, my old car, property taxes, and house projects that need to be done... not to mention necessities like toothpaste. Sometimes, I allow material needs to become distractions in my life. I'm so thankful for a patient, loving, caring Heavenly Father who always provides for my needs. He always has, and for those who trust Him, He promises He always will (Matthew 6:33).

Experiencing God's provision and needing to refocus on His promise isn't new for me. In January 2010 I was in a serious auto accident that left me in the hospital for six weeks and in rehab and recovery for most of the year. For the first six months of the year, I didn't earn a penny. I couldn't work and had no income. But God met every one of my needs. Abundantly. In fact, He even sent me a special, unexpected blessing to remind me that He knows my situation and cares. In April, I received notification from my alma mater that a paper I wrote won a cash award of $200! It's not that I had a specific $180 need right then, this was just a reminder. A reminder that my Heavenly Father is my Great Provider.


When I refocus on Jesus and His Kingdom, I rest in His provision. I trust His promise-- that for those who seek first His Kingdom, He will provide their physical needs. He knows my commitments, desires, bank balance, and the amount of toothpaste left in my tube. He knows. He cares.

He provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment