Thursday, March 28, 2013

this Wonder-Break-y place

Three-and-a-half years ago at a job interview, they asked me how I manage stress. Well, I used to find that lying on my bed in my bright pink room, chatting with my wonderful sisters, listening to classical music, and sipping fruit tea was a pretty good way to relax, even after a long, stressful day.


But here I am in Zam world with no sisters, no bright pink bedroom, and no fruit tea. The lack of certain stress relievers has not equated a lack in stress inhibitors.

So, sometimes Heather and I pretend to get 'outa town. In between shopping at Spar, waiting in queue at the bank, checking the post office box, paying Zesco bills and all other Choma-wide duties, we sneak around the side of Choma Garage, past the minibus stop-off where at least three fellows yell things at us each time we pass... we sneak back there and dodge the big trucks and the bicycles and the wheelbarrows, and we step into Wonderbake.

coffee, tea, meat pies, Coke, sliced bread, ice cream... they have it all,
and sometimes they even have scones!
(I still haven't figured out how a bakery can have NO baked goods for sale before 10am)
I'm glad Heather is a savour-your-hot-drink sort of person, because that gives us time to just sit at Wonderbake and chat and relax over her cappuccino. Sometimes I don't even buy anything at Wonderbreak, er, Wonderbake, because the brief time of "away" is often worth more than a treat :).

Once our cups are empty, and the table is cleared, we leave that Zam-Wonder-place and walk back out into the world of gawking guys and hot sun and business transactions waiting to happen.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad the two of you have found a special place to escape to. Their logo strikes me as funny this morning-Your quality in mind. Humm...interesting that they take such personal interest in the quality of their customers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you have a place like that for a little escape! I, too, am a savor-your-hot-drink person. There is nothing like a hot drink and a long, lazy conversation with a friend to banish the stresses of life!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh! I had a place like that too when I was in Tanzania! I used to play a little game on my walk there...if I made it all the way without a single dude yelling at me then I could buy myself a little treat to go with my tea. This sounds like a wonderful spot to enjoy some quiet time and a friend.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete