Saturday, August 2, 2014

S.P.I.C.E. life

Sara and I got up at five 'o clock one morning to hike some rocks and watch the sun rise over Lake Malawi...
taking time to enjoy a sunrise is something that always renews me emotionally and spiritually.

One of the best parts of our recent southern Africa workers’ retreat was the practical tips, experience, and encouragement Tim and Mel (our resource couple) shared stemming from their work in Malawi the past six years.

Mel shared a simple acronym I found especially relevant as a check-up tool for measuring current well being, as well as a place to start for setting personal goals.

Though there are situations and work environments that are more taxing than others, this acronym is applicable for everyone, no matter where you live and work. I’ve added it to my life toolbox:

S- spiritual
P- physical
I- intellectual
C- creative
E- emotional

I’m a firm believer that human “wellness” is all encompassing, not merely a measurement of physical illness or agility. A healthy life is not just about eating veggies and reading a daily devotional. It was good to receive fresh encouragement to keep tabs on our holistic well being.

Of course there's plenty of room for improvement, but here are some examples of things I do/have done over the past year for my SPICE life:

S- listening to audio sermons in English, a small in-depth weekly Bible study, this week I’m looking forward to a Bible memorization challenge
P- working out at the gym 3 times a week, getting consistent sleep, eating nutritious foods
I- balancing the cash box… haha… um, so, maybe I need to work on some more intellectual stimulation in my life!?!
C- organizing and updating household items, sending notes and gifts to family and friends back home, and… baking. I love kitchen adventures
E- skypeing with my family, sharing tea with friends here in Zambia, scheduled time away from all work demands at Nahumba


What about you? How’s your SPICE life these days? Are you consistently finding ways to be renewed Spiritually, Physically, Intellectually, Creatively, and Emotionally? If not, it’s time to take action. Be assured that ignoring your overall health today will catch up with you in one of the tomorrows… and that will likely not be a very fun experience- for you or for anyone else around you!

1 comment:

  1. S- meeting to pray with colleagues once a week
    P- (er-ah-ugh) besides life, not much
    I- annotated bibliography in APA format anyone?
    C- launching poetry workshops with the idea of producing a student anthology
    E- working in my garden/flower bed; chatting with sisters

    ReplyDelete