Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Cappuccino Muffins


Dear friends,

It’s about time for another muffin recipe-- something a little bit sweet and special, with a hint of coffee and sprinkles of chocolate if you please…

My first encounter with “coffee muffins” (cappuccino/espresso/call them whatever you like) was last year at our regional retreat meetings in Mozambique. Our meals were catered by a most amazing South African chef, Ria, and I have not forgotten the warm coffee muffins she served one morning for breakfast. I came home and tried to duplicate those lightly sweetened, coffee-hinted morsels. My attempt was nothing like Ria’s perfectly balanced sweet and flavorful muffins, so I shoved the coffee muffin project to the back burner.

I’m not sure I’ll ever have a coffee muffin that will rival the ones Ria served… but my memory has faded enough in one year that this recipe was a winner last Saturday morning when I wanted to bake muffins for breakfast. Surprisingly, though I added chocolate chips, I think I might prefer this recipe sans the chocolate. Maybe it’s because the Original Ria’s Muffins didn't have chocolate…



Cappuccino Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 Tablespoons instant coffee (I used Ricoffy, a popular chickory/coffee blend here in Zambia)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

chocolate chips (optional)

Grease 12 muffin cups or line with muffin papers.
Combine dry ingredients.
Stir moist ingredients until blended, fold into dry just to combine.
Stir in chocolate chips (if using).
Spoon batter into muffin cups.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 190 C/ 375 F.

Best eaten warm and shared with friends alongside hot drinks.

2 comments:

  1. This recipe is very similar to one we have on our blog, called Mocha Muffins. The differences are, we make them as mini-muffins, use mini-chocolate chips, and then frost them with a cream cheese spread that also contains coffee and mini-chocolate chips. Check it out!:-) ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete