Thursday, April 11, 2013

let's meet in Mozambique

It all sounded like a great idea nine months ago-- the annual BICWM retreat for Southern Africa workers would be held in Mozambique. What could be more exciting than a trip across country borders to spend a few days relaxing with colleagues and being refreshed for ministry?

on the way to Mozambique
I'm comfortable with planning road trips. Before leaving the driveway, I make lists of items to pack and purchase. I print maps and directions. I borrow my parents' AAA books, ask my brothers to give my car a basic service check, and last but not least, I always compile an itinerary with phone numbers and plans and tape it on Mom's kitchen wall.

I was trying to capture the amazing boulders in the distance... but these scrub trees got in the way. 
That's how my road trips start in the States. But here in Zam world, my planning for the Mozambique adventure took a course of its own. The trip that had looked so wonderful nine months ago turned into a major source of stress. About two weeks before our projected departure, I gave up. I didn't even want to keep trying to make the trip happen. It was too much hassle. There comes a point where the challenges of adventuring cross the line of fun and exciting and become hard, old, and stressful.

all aboard?
Some of my responsibilities in preparation for the Mozambique expedition included multiple trips to the insurance company to secure special out-of-country vehicle insurance, a trip to the Livingstone police station to secure a vehicle clearance paper, and a call to our mechanic to have the vehicle serviced before our journey.



I couldn't borrow my parents' AAA books for Zimbabwe and Mozambique, and I couldn't print maps of our route, as my printer has been in-operable since January... and, I forgot the 1993 edition Harare street map in the filing cabinet in my office. In fact, I was so rattled that I almost forgot to send Mom a copy of my itinerary for the kitchen wall.

these incredible grain bins in Zim reminded me of Joseph
just another drive-by-shot
We almost canceled attempting our trip, due to rumors that it was impossible to secure visas at the Mozambique border (by the time we learned this information, we didn't have five business days for the embassy in Lusaka to process our paperwork). Crazy or not, we decided to attempt our trip to Mozambique anyway. Aside from a digital finger print machine refusing to accept my finger print, every border crossing was seamless. Praise God.


yes, American friends- we are all on the proper side of the road
Our trip consisted of four days of travel and three days termed as holiday. I took a few pictures to share with you (more to come soon!). This way you can adventure to Mozambique without even securing COMESA insurance and Interpol clearance for your vehicle... not to mention you have the privilege of skipping the 36-hour drive...

7 comments:

  1. I missed you while you were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.my.Word. That sounds so dramatic!

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized I didn't see my comment come up (and wrote it twice) b/c you have to approve it first. HAHAHAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you don't mind I posted all three... I thought my sisters would like to share in this laugh too :)

      Delete
  4. The fruit of persevering! The character built in these processes is invaluable! Look forward to more shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the pic third from the bottom....the color and perspecitive...nice. I've had some of those "adventures" 'round Arizona that end up feeling more like work than fun but those days usually involve hiking boots. Glad you are safely back home.

    ReplyDelete