Tuesday, April 16, 2013

21 years ago today...


...My little sister turned three!

definitely not world's best picture... but I have a limited supply from the past six months
Beautiful Betsy-

I know you wanted to give up the ghost three years ago when breathing was too hard and your body was so battered, but I’m so glad you didn't. (sorry, melanchol appearance...)

You are a sparkle in my life. We both already know how amazing you are, but since some of my blog readers might not, I thought I’d list a few of my favorite things about YOU! Here’s a list of twenty-four, one to represent each year of your life :).

24 Reasons Betsy is Amazing 
  1. She rides a unicycle
  2. She wears striped socks
  3. She loves to meet new people
  4. She is a true friend
  5. She sends me the jolliest email updates ever
  6. She mails me packages
  7. She is always working on achieving goals (saving money for specific projects, exercising her torso, sharing her faith)
  8. She’s generous- always sharing with me and others
  9. She likes shopping at Salvation Army and sharing Blizzards with me
  10. She gives the most delicious shoulder massages ever… I’m so desperate for one…
  11. She acts out her faith- standing in front of the abortion clinic once a week, sharing with her co-workers about Jesus
  12. She’s a bargain-finder (suitcases for China!)
  13. She does her hair in less than five minutes every day
  14. She’s a collector- medicine bottles for missions, yarn for gifts, bags and purses for… well, I guess that’s just because you can never have too many!
  15. She’s creative- she crafted a personalized jack knife pouch for her pocket, a button-up Carhart for Brian, and bicycle pouches made out of recycled backpack pockets!
  16. She volunteers with Hospice
  17. She does fun activities with her patients at work
  18. She makes cool movies on her Mac
  19. She persevered through nursing school, even though she wanted to quit partway through the first semester
  20. She packs my bags for international trips... even though we've never been able to take a global trek together yet
  21. She knits, crochets, and sews amazing gifts for people (like the flannel quilt she made me- stuffed with her sheep’s wool)
  22. She works with our brothers on the farm
  23. She’s not afraid to be different- you should see the sunglasses she keeps in her car!
  24. She’s 24 and living life to the fullest for the King
Betsy, I love you! God has blessed our family so much with the gift of your life. Wish I could be there to celebrate your birthday together.

PS- If you have Big Apple Bagel sandwiches for lunch, be sure to count them before you leave the shoppe!

5 comments:

  1. And one for the coming year...

    25. She's my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie...this was beautiful! It made me tear up. What a joy to see the wonderful relationship between you and your sister. I too am thankful that Betsy (and you) are both still with us. Happy birthday, beautiful Betsy!

    ~ the other Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tribute to a wonderful woman! Happy Birthday Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy, you leave Life in your wake! Happy (day after) Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it was a happy day! one highlight was the 7min 25sec cell phone call from my Zambian sister

    ReplyDelete