Sunday, August 16, 2015

Nine


It's been nine months since I moved back to the States.

Nine months of a lot of new things...

{job, house, weather, car, state, church, roomies (well, two of them!), grocery store, schedule, gym, phone...}

I still have to call my heart back to the here-and-now when I email with friends or hear stories about life across the ocean.

I still cry (sob. really quite dramatically) every time I have to part with my parents and siblings back home in Michigan.

I still get lost periodically when navigating Central Pennsylvania.

I still have a Michigan license plate on my car, though I have secured a Pennsylvania driving license.

and I still have four toothbrushes. Yes. four.  {is it normal to have four toothbrushes?!?}
(1 at my house, 1 at my parents', 1 at the house we rent in Pennsylvania, and 1 in my travel bag...)


Two life quotes that brought me chuckles over the past couple months are:

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
and...

Item #4 on the list titled: Ten Ways International Volunteers Know They Have Readjusted
(from the book The Art Of Coming Home, by Craig Storti)

4. Other people no longer avoid the dish you bring to potluck dinners.

I'm finally feeling settled enough to look beyond the current week or month (...and maybe to also create yummy food that Americans appreciate-?!?).

I have favorite places-- like the local farmers' market, and Spanish church Sunday afternoons, and of course the amazing ice cream shop just around the corner.

I set goals at work (looking into the future instead of just focusing 100% on the present), continue connecting with friends and exploring the area, and as usual always look forward to my next time home with family.

2 comments:

  1. I have more than 4 toothbrushes.
    Is it normal to have only one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the dentist is proud of both of you and Amy!

    Congratulations on getting to 9!

    ReplyDelete