Friday, January 18, 2013

Anniversary

What started out as a wonderful day celebrating Brian's 18th birthday ended in trauma for our family three years ago today. Nine of us were on our way for birthday lunch when an oncoming vehicle ran a stop sign at full speed. Our van was t-boned and rolled. Five of us were carried out on backboards. The next months of our lives were devoted to recovery and healing, physically and emotionally.


The weeks and months and years of recovery were long (three of my siblings still deal with lingering pain), but God continues to faithfully enable us to live the lives He has given us.




On this anniversary, I want to say, "Thank you!"

-to those of you who faithfully prayed for and cared (and cooked and cleaned) for our family through the weeks and months of recovery after the accident
-to my family, who nursed me, and cheered me on when I was discouraged
-to God, who taught me a little more about His beautiful character through the accident and recovery. 
He is good, because that is His character
His character does not change based on my circumstances and feelings

and, one more thanksgiving... well, okay, actually two:

1) God, thank you for healing my body, and for the privilege of TRAVELING again (I missed it so much!). I'm so thankful I can be in Africa today.

2) Brian- whose 18th birthday we were celebrating- turned 21 yesterday! I am so thankful to have a hero for my little brother. It was Brian who was next to me in the van that day. He was the one who came with me in the ambulance and stayed at my bed and signed papers at the Clare hospital. He stuck with me when they transferred me to Saginaw, and he faithfully ferried Mom and Amy and the rest of my siblings back and forth from Saginaw at least once a day to be with me for the next 6 weeks in the hospital. Thank you, Brian!


**to see a YouTube Betsy put together of "Blessings," search "Blessings Medium" in YouTube  I wanted to post the link, but am limited because of my internet situation**

3 comments:

  1. Julie, seeing the pictures rounds out your sharing about the accident. We join in giving thanks for deliverance and healing for you all and may these thanksgivings add wings to your service in Zambia.
    Gene and Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although it would have been nice to meet under different circumstances, I thank God He put our paths together for a little while. I thoroughly enjoyed working with you, Betsy and Aaron (and by "enjoy", I don't mean happily inflicting pain upon you all...ha ha). Praise God for healing body, mind and soul.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I well remember this day...and I give thanks for all the good that God wrought from the pain. You are right...He is good ALL the time! Glad that for the most part, the trial is over.

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete