Friday, January 4, 2013

Auntie

This little orphan girl insisted on sitting next to me at a recent food and blanket distribution
with Compassionate Ministries (Heather's job).

Perhaps it’s because of fun aunt memories from my childhood, perhaps because I adore little friends, or maybe it’s just because I like the ring of the words, but it makes me smile inside to be called Auntie Julie.

Here in Zambia, Auntie Julie is what children call me out of respect. There’s something fun about introducing myself as Auntie Julie instead of Miss Julie. Also, I feel trusted and welcomed into families when parents introduce me to their children as an auntie.

I consider this new title one of the perks of my work here in Zambia.

2 comments:

  1. well maybe that can be your title back here too. missionaries sometimes do stuff like that

    ReplyDelete