Monday, January 21, 2013

Crunchy Craving

Though I rarely indulge in Nabisco Wheat Thins, they are my favorite crackers. Nutty, salty, just a hinty sweet. Ooohhhh. So good. Cheap knock-off brands don’t compare.


There are a few reasons I rarely eat Wheat Thins:
1) The cost… especially if a box only lasts two days!
2) The addictive-munching. It’s just too hard to stop eating.
3) The negative healthy factor. Not that they’re the unhealthiest food ever, but when one eats half a box at a time, they are really not a low fat/low calorie snack.

And here in Zambia there is another reason I don’t often eat Wheat Thins:
4) The absolute un-availability. I can’t even buy ‘em if I want ‘em.

Spar sells crackers, but they’re a specialty item (i.e. specialty price), so I haven’t bought any.

I know it’s terribly unspiritual, but I must confess that during church one recent Sunday morning I was dreaming of Wheat Thins. My mind wandered into the kitchen experiment mode, groping for an idea of something I could make to satisfy my CRUNCH craving.

Popcorn? Hmm. Maybe, but it’s rather hull-y here.
Fresh veggies? Definitely the healthy option, but just not what I was thinking—crunchy, salty, wheat-y…
Peanuts? Again. A good option, but not the same crunch as crackers.

Then, I thought of copycat recipes.com. Oh ho.




I spent a few of my limited internet minutes checking a couple recipes for homemade Wheat Thins and was super excited to find a simple recipe that called for items I had in the pantry. After reading reviews that said these crackers tasted almost identical to Wheat Thins, I was pumped! I rushed to the kitchen and baked a batch of said delicious crackers.

Friends, they were good. These mock Wheat Thins definitely hit the spot.




But if I told you they tasted exactly like Wheat Thins, I’d be lying. They don’t (though they are yum, and very economical to make). Perhaps it was the Zambian ingredients. More likely, I suspect the reviewers who claimed these crackers taste exactly like Wheat Thins are actually not true Wheat Thin connoisseurs. Whether or not you’re a Wheat Thin connoisseur, I still recommend this simple cracker recipe. Easy (I had never made crackers before), cheap, and of course, tasty.





1 comment:

  1. Hummm....I haven't visited copycat recipes yet. I'll have to check it out.

    Glad you found something to step up to the palate plate while you are in Africa.

    ReplyDelete