Thursday, April 24, 2014

High Tea... and a few of my favorite things...


Do you ever have those fun little dreams that live in the back of your mind, which you’re not sure will ever become reality, but that you think would be absolutely marvelous if they ever did come to pass? 

Sara and I invited our friend Lukondo to join us for the afternoon event

Imagine my utter delight last week when a friend messaged Sara and I to invite us to high tea!

5 of the 6 in our group- ready to leave for the Hotel

I love tea and little fancies and girl parties and all things pretty and fine that are part of tea parties. Here in Zambia I’ve missed tea parties-- fun sister time, mom’s china, and girlfriends who appreciate tiny goodies.

L-R: a decadent brownie type thing, guava tart, smoked salmon bite, mini eclair, and mini savory scone
the smoked salmon was my favorite savory treat, and the chocolate eclair was my favorite sweet

The moment, the event, the beauty, the china tea pots, the friends, the breeze floating through the open doors… it was all so grand... even the cushion on the chair felt luxurious! 


more goodies!
(there were SO many!)

I soak in those moments when I can. I feast on the colors and taste the flavors and laugh with the good company… and breathe in the sunsets, as if savoring the view will make it last longer or 
be alive on the gray days of life.


I can’t describe to you what a fabulous time I had at high tea.

love that smile :)

our friend Michelle and her Mom who was visiting from Canada
(thus, our reason for the tea)


And if you’re wondering about the price… well, high tea will never compare to the price of making tea out of dusty economy tea bags and water boiled in an old kettle at home, but, considering the sheer pleasure of this once-in-a-lifetime (at least so far!) event, and the fact it was less than half the price of the quote I received in London (thus why I’d never before been to high tea), not to mention having dreamed of high tea for over fifteen years of my life, I’d say it was a bargain of a deal.


If you don’t like tea or little fancies, and could care less about sitting on a swing in a manicured lawn gazing over the Zambezi and watching the mist of Victoria Falls rise in the distance, then, I’d say high tea at the Royal Livingstone Hotel isn’t for you. If, however, you love the finery of tea in such an elegant setting, I highly recommend coming to Zambia, collecting a group of friends, and making a high tea date at the Royal Livingstone. 
You won’t regret it.


Oh- and if you’d like a private tour guide to accompany you, just let me know ;)



the view from the veranda and lawn
(that's Vic Falls down river)



sunset over the Zambezi
is that incredible? or is that incredible?!

teamies :)

4 comments:

  1. you seem to be doing a lot of fishing for another visitor these days....do you have any nibbles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine a more delightful, splendid, fantabulous event than what you've just described! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete