Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Visit to the Shenks' --or-- Hunter's House

this cape buffalo greets all who enter the Shenks' house

       




I woke up Tuesday morning dreaming I was at the J.R. Shenk Museum of Animals. 


Actually, I was in the spare bedroom at the Shenks’ house in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, surrounded by hoofed lamp shades, painted elephant ears, a variety of horned antelope heads, elephant feet seats, and a stuffed leopard. 



Over their forty odd years (or is it fifty-odd?) on this continent, Jake has cultivated his avid love of game hunting. He can keep an audience of young and old entertained for hours sharing hair raising tales of hunting adventures!

see what I mean about a museum?! I wasn't entirely dreaming.

lion skull, and the top of an elephant tail!

Jake with a lion and a hippo he shot

Jake at work in the office
(that's a painted elephant ear on the wall)


this picture is for Josiah


this cape buffalo overlooks the Shenks' patio

Indeed. That is another painted elephant ear up on the wall!
note that the lamp is made from a massive antelope horn!



One of the items on my wish-to-do list since last year when I met the Shenks was to visit Jake and Nancy in their home. It was a joy to be with them, visit their “museum,” and get a glimpse of life in Bulawayo these days.

how's that for an elephant boot?! (I think it's a rubbish bin)
oh- notice the hippo foot at the base of the antelope horn lamp as well

one foot, two foot
red foot, blue foot
elephant foot... uh... never mind...


Thanks, Jake and Nancy, for a great time! It’s been a blessing to get to know you over the past two years.

this lil' fellow watches over the dining room

back behind those family photos is a collection of hippo teeth!
crazy.

PS- sorry, no pictures of the Shenks’ son’s sausage factory! His Bulawayo based butchery is famous for its specially blended Russian sausages.

[um, and… yeah… blended is the word.    Wow.    Fascinating as it was to tour, I don’t think I’m cut out to work in a sausage factory… no pun intended.]

2 comments:

  1. wow....that is quite a collection. I'm thinking one would not have need of a guard dog with a buffalo head guarding the door...and I never realized hippos had such big teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture Julie!! :-) I like to study on those animals.

    ~Josiah

    ReplyDelete