Friday, May 2, 2014

the way by bus


Thought you might like to see a few shots taken from bus windows at different points in our 
Zimbabwe trip last month.


An interesting thing I've learned here in Zambia is the specific phraseology used regarding bus trips. 
In my Michigan English, I'd say: "I'm taking the bus to Lusaka." 
In Zambian English I'd say, "I'm going by bus to Lusaka."

Funny as it may seem, I've had more than one confusing conversation regarding bus travel... when I've told people I'm going on a bus and they think I'm driving our bus (the mission's mini bus)! I'm not sure about the technicalities of the English word usage of "take" versus "go" regarding bus trips, but while I'm here in Zambia I try to phrase my travel statements as clearly as possible. 
Thus, for the time being, whenever I ride a bus, I "go by bus" to wherever my destination may be :).


beau.ti.ful.
out in the Chirundu Hills
(and, while there are some lovely views... the road- a major truck route- is, well, sometimes scary)




laps + STUFF (on a luxury bus-- notice the seat belt)

haha... this bus window was stuck open...
making for a breezy trip home

2 comments:

  1. Someday you might just get me over there. The pictures are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete