Tuesday, November 27, 2012

First...

...muffins I baked in Zambia

the chocolate chips sprinkled on top are an extra special treat here


I'm sure you've been waiting for me to post African recipes. Well, if you’re in Africa, just use local bananas and this will be an African recipe. Haha.

I brought my favorite banana muffin recipe from home and was super excited to bake a batch recently between power outages. These muffins are easy to make, plus the recipe is versatile and forgiving (add extra ingredients, skimp on others, make substitutions—the result is always delicious!). I hesitate to add that the sugar and fat content in this recipe is lower than most banana muffin recipes, because I don’t want you to label these as taste-less health food before you even bake some to try for yourself.

Yummo Banano Muffos
(uh, yep, I coined the name…)

1 ¼ cup mashed dead bananas (3 or 4)
¼ cup oil
¼ cup sugar (brown or white, I've also used honey or maple syrup for part of the sweetener)
1 egg
1 t. vanilla

1 ½ cup flour (can use half whole wheat, or add some flax seeds or bran as well)
1 t. baking powder
1 t. soda
½ t. salt

Optional for extra yummo:
½ cup chopped nuts
Chocolate chips :)

Wisk the wet ingredients and sugar. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients. Gently mix batter until combined. Carefully add nuts and chocolate if desired.

Scoop batter in to 10 or 12 greased muffin tins. Bake at 350F (or 177C) about 15 to 20 minutes or until done.

This also makes lots of wonderful mini muffins (reduce baking time).

4 comments:

  1. There-now you are officially living in Africa!

    The name sounds like you were saying their name with cheeks stuffed with banana muffins :)

    PS: What happens if I add the nuts and chocolate carelessly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...where'd you get chocolate chips???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My suitcase ;). There was one lil' bag in there.

      Delete
  3. I'm thinking you should add Muffin Meister to your profile :)

    ReplyDelete