Monday, November 19, 2012

Stick-y Adventures

My Zambian vehicle control station (for all my American readers: no, this photo was not taken in a mirror).


My stick-y adventure began in Michigan with “The Chev,” Aaron's 70’s one-ton douly, gas-guzzling farm truck used for short runs around the farm (primarily to carry water to the animals out back). Brian and I lurched down the lane and up and down the back forty, revving and rumbling from gear to gear. I learned the clutch should not be held down after shifting into the next gear… lest the engine die…

Learning to drive a manual transmission vehicle had been on my list of “learn someday” for a couple years. Earlier this year, I decided this was the year. This would be the summer of the stick. Choosing to move to Zambia necessitated my stick-y goal.

Dad, Brian, and Logan kindly provided me some great errands to practice my driving. They even took time to explain the mechanics behind manual transmissions, because I thought I might be able to drive better if I understood how the engine and transmission work in stick-shift vehicles. They were patient with me as I practiced, even when I made mistakes, like stalling —twice—at a green light at one of Midland's busiest intersections!

The Isuzu at the Macha airstrip.

My number-filled driving adventure continues here in Zambia, where we’re lefties on the road. Thankfully, Gene is a patient instructor and he talks me through tips and recommendations he’s picked up after driving here for the past couple years. Gene has been giving Heather and me ample opportunities to polish our skills navigating the Isuzu pickup for speed humps, cows and goats, bicycles, pedestrians, disabled vehicles, and all other interesting items on the roads here.

I wanted to post a fun post pre-Zambia about my stick adventures, but never took any pictures of the trucks in Michigan. So, finally, out at the Macha airstrip I shot a picture to use with this post.

ps- David B. I have pictures of the Macha airstrip for you.

5 comments:

  1. Proud of you and your stick-y accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And...just out of curiosity...how much is gas/liter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to remember to check for sure when I'm in town tomorrow morning.

      Delete
    2. fuel is around $1.50 USD/ liter. We just topped the tank this morning for K 230,000.

      Delete