Sunday, November 4, 2012

Macha at the Moment

I've arrived in Zambia! The trip getting here was an adventure that's still screaming for a post of its own. But for now, I have a few minutes and a bit of internet, so I thought I'd update you on my current status. (Sorry for the lack of pictures today.)

I was the driver yesterday as we left Choma (home base) and headed about an hour up the road to Macha. On the way, I practiced navigating Zambian roads-- everything from smooth pavement and periodic speed humps, to red dirt pitted "roads" out back (2nd gear material). I also had to slow down for goats and cows crossing the road.

Mr. Mahango (like Mango with an "h"), the hospital administrator, took Heather and I for a tour of the Macha hospital. I've heard of and prayed for the work at Macha for years, so it was a delight to finally visit the Macha hospital.

We spent the afternoon relaxing at Dr. Spurrier's house, and visiting Pastor Mafalamale and his family for dinner. What a feast! Nine separate dishes plus two juices and a dessert! After we ate and ate, they still insisted we hadn't eaten at all. The fellowship was sweet.

Today, Heather will drive us back to Nahumba, and we'll prepare for another week of orientation.

P.S. How do you like guava juice and yogurt?

5 comments:

  1. I like the 2nd gear explanation. That lets us know that you were going under 20 miles per hour. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh....the hospitality of so many other countries puts Americans to shame. Had a meal like that in England hosted by an Asian family...when we were all stuffed silly they made these yogurt and mango smoothies that were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. guava juice is not really my favorite but I can imagine how it could be good

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've heard about those roads :) So glad you're on Zambian soil, meeting the people for whom you've prayed. Please know that we're praying for these early days of transition. They can be some of the sweetest memories and certainly the most vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love guava juice, and love yogurt, but haven't tried them both together. Sounds intriguing!

    So glad you are there safe and sound!

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete