Sunday, February 10, 2013

Crazy orange, I know...

Perusing through recipes is a favorite pastime of mine, and muffin recipes receive premier viewing time. I have a “thing” for muffins—baking, eating, experimenting, sharing. Though I miss some of my favorite muffin standby ingredients (wheat bran, oat bran, flax meal, maple syrup, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cranberries, walnuts, pecans… and mini chocolate chips!), I get the fun challenge of experimenting with what I do have available here in Zambia (papaya, mango, guava, bananas, oats, Zambian honey).

image thanks to Google
I could try to explain it (I really do have a good explanation), but you probably wouldn't understand the urge for carrot muffins that recently hit me. The unavailability of sour cream (used in Carrot Muffies, my classic carrot muffin favorite) proved a great excuse to search out another carrot muffin recipe.

I present to you: Zambian Carrot Honey Muffins*. Easy, nutritious, and tasty.


When I confessed my baking urge to Heather, she couldn't imagine anything delicious coming from the combination of “carrot” and “muffin,” so I’m pretty sure these guys are going to the freezer to be enjoyed again and again by this muffin-loving accountant (unless I give them all away before they make it behind that frigid door!). The recipe only makes twelve… so, who are we kidding, they won’t last long.

Thanks to my sister-in-law, I enjoyed a special cup of imported tea with a fresh carrot muffin Saturday night. Wonderful! The only thing better would have been sharing a muffin and cup of tea with you, and enjoying each other’s company. Next time, maybe?



*I only altered this linked recipe slightly: by the time I grated four carrots, I had a bit over 2 cups of shredded carrots, so I threw in the extra too. I used olive oil (less than ½ cup), and organic Zambian honey. Also, our wheat flour is "brown flour" (not the same as American whole wheat flour). Next time, I might try adding some grated apple and reducing the oil to 1/3 cup. These muffins would be great with pecans and/or raisins as well.

5 comments:

  1. I made a pot of blueberry tea last night. Enough for you and me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could have shared it. I drank an orange Fanta last night... would have preferred the blueberry tea with you.

      Delete
  2. Me too! I made Morning Glory Muffins (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/morning-glory-muffins-i/detail.aspx) on Friday to take to the Ping Pong Tournament. Made a double batch and used both big and little muffy tins. In my estimation they were second only to some melt-in-your-mouth brownies (and far more nutritious). I ground my own wheat, used my new food processor for the apples and carrots, used raw desert honey instead of sugar and pumpkin butter instead of apple butter. The only muff that lasted the whole tournament was the one I stashed in the car for the ride home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! Guava muffins! That sounds fantastic!
    monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the carrot muffins on Sunday to bring to work on Monday. They were a BIG hit!!! Everyone liked how they weren't too sweet, but hearty. I added chopped pecans.
    monica

    ReplyDelete