Monday, February 18, 2013

Friend Hunt

I knew moving thousands of miles (or kilometres as the case may be) from the place I've lived for over twenty years would mean leaving my family and walking into something essentially unknown. When I arrived in Zambia, I soon realized that not a single person in my African life had ever met a single person from my Michigan life—not family, not friends, not coworkers. I felt alone. Not one of my Zambian contacts had ever even visited my hometown, home church, or family. Likewise, my parents, siblings, and friends back in Michigan had never even met the people with whom I now interacted daily.

hosting another "get to know you" meal
In all the preparation for moving to Zambia, I braced myself for leaving everyone I knew. I realized that building new relationships would take a lot of work, but I forgot just how challenging it can be to make new friends. Part of me wishes friendships could come in pre-fab packages, but it has been a blessing to begin building relationships here in Zambia. I remind myself to recognize and praise God for the beginning stages of relationships and trust.

In building new friendships far from home, I identify with something a friend who grew up continents away from extended family and childhood friends shared with me: You just have to realize that no matter where you are in the world, you will always be separated from people you deeply love.

That’s one reason to look forward to heaven. Nothing there is going to separate us from being together with ALL the amazing people who have ever lived. There we’ll be— praising Jesus forever with every other wonderful person who ever lived (anywhere, at any time, speaking any language) for the King. Won’t that be glorious?

Till then, I’m rejoicing in the little things in life, like the fun evening we had recently with Lukondo, another new Zambian friend.

not a great picture... really great food!
PS- I know I’m partial, but this meal was ridiculously delicious… BBQ chicken pizza, White Pizza (garlic, olive oil, cheese, fresh tomatoes), bread sticks, and tossed salad.

2 comments:

  1. It looks delicious! Maybe I will visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie! Hello! It's Kristy from the Farmers Market. I love reading your posts, what a great way to bridge cultures! I know it's a crazy large country, but if there is one thing I've learned in this life, it's that sometimes this world can be very small too. A friend of mine just moved to Zambia with the Peace Corps. I don't know what village she's in yet, but here is a link to her new blog if you're interested: http://thewandererinzambia.wordpress.com/ If you ever come across Terri by some random chance, you'll have fellow Michigander to commiserate with. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us!

    ReplyDelete