Friday, February 1, 2013

Delicious Math

1
+

2
=

yum!

 It's hard to beat a fresh, homemade fajita... you know, the kind made with green peppers and tomatoes from your friend's garden, onions from the local market, fresh avocado turned guac, imported red peppers, local chicken (also raised by a friend), and homemade tortillas. That kind of fajita.

A couple weeks back, I found a pile of netted bags of fresh red peppers for sale at Spar! I was really missing spicy peppers, and an entire bag was just slightly over a dollar, so at the salesclerk's urging, I dropped the bag of peppers in my shopping basket.

Last week I decided it was time to do something with the peppers before they went bad. I donned rubber gloves (unsure of the hot-factor of these peppers, but figuring them to be relatively mild chilis), chopped the peppers, sanitized two pint jars, boiled a bit of pickling juice, and preserved my peppers.

After church Sunday, I decided to cook fajitas for lunch. Heather was out of town for the weekend, so it was just me. I didn't know how many peppers to add, because I didn't know how spicy they were.

Considering the number of times I had to wipe my nose while I was eating my fajita, I'd say the two pints of peppers will definitely last Heather and I the rest of the year! 

Delicious. So delicious. 
It had been a long time since I had any Mexican food with that yummy pepper kick.

Judging from the responses of those I've met and asked, most Zambians do not like spicy food. Not sure why Spar imported such hot peppers, but it was a blessing for Heather and I. For dinner Monday night, we had beans and tortillas-- beans with the perfect bit of spice (two small red pepper rings chopped!), but not too much to mask the tasty onion, garlic, and cumin flavors.

2 comments:

  1. It's breakfast time here in Texas, and yet I am craving one of Julie's Fresh Fajitas! My goodness, does that look delish! Enjoy your peppers in 2013...they will bring such spice to your African life!:-)

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete