Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

Heather says I love Valentine's Day more than anyone she's ever met before.


I must admit, each year I spend weeks anticipating Valentine's Day. This year, I marked 14 February with pink hearts in my datebook; I noted "Valentine's Day!" at the top of my February calendar. I posted pictures of heart cookies (my sisters make the BEST!) on my office door. I brought red serviettes (paper napkins) all the way from the States with Valentine's Day in mind...

I love Valentine's Day!

Me and my smoochie sisters the year I spent Valentine's Day in the hospital
Last year, my little friend Lydia gave me the sweetest valentine. It's pinned to my office wall. "Wishes do come true Valentine!" it says above a picture of Snow White on a charming, white horse.

the cookie picture on my office door
It was probably about 15 years ago when Betsy and I made our valentine pact. "Why miss out on the fun of Valentine's Day?" we thought. So, we decided we were going to give each other valentine gifts each year. And we have. Some years it's been chocolate, some years a little trinket, or maybe just a special gift. Last year I gave her fun, stripy socks and candy. Three years ago it was a plastic cup with a heart (plus a chocolate bar!). This year, I had to plan well in advance to send my valentine sister a valentine. I didn't tell her I sent it, because I wasn't sure if it would reach her. It did!  On Saturday's mailbox check, I was delighted to find the valentine Betsy sent (a sweet card and a crocheted set of hanging hearts)! (I figured it was okay for me to open the envelope early, considering Betsy had opened hers early.)

Some years ago, my sisters and some of our girlfriends decided we were going to throw ourselves an annual Valentine's tea party! Our parties have always been scheduled just after Valentine's Day, so we can purchase our party goodies on clearance-- usually 70% off. At our parties, we have been known to do such things as enjoy a giant bowl of mocha punch, watch Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, take ridiculous pictures, wear silly dresses, and laugh and laugh and laugh....

tea, anyone?
Some friends have told us (and I believe them) we have more fun at our parties than most people who have valentines! (these parties are strictly for singles ONLY). But this year, the only girls left to have the annual Valentine's tea party are my sisters. I won't even be there to join them if they have the party... sigh.

tea party cohorts
One year, we had our party in the conference room at my hospital rehab facility-- and it was the first time I dressed in "people clothes" that year since the middle of January!

talk about a bunch of cool valentines...
Last year, Amy and I hosted our family for Red Dinner at the Cookie House. We served spaghetti, red jello, raspberry chocolate muffins, and pink cookies for dessert.

In Michigan, February is usually gray and gloomy and ugly and cold and depressing and... you get the picture. But Valentine's Day is bright and cheery and smiley and sweet and full of loveliness.

Hank
(also notice the amazing Valentine cookies my sisters made)

Five Reasons I Love Valentine's Day:
  1. It's a fun, cheery holiday
  2. It gives me an annual opportunity to tell people- the people closest to me in life- that I love and appreciate them
  3. It gives me something to look forward to when winter gets blaah
  4. I have so many happy memories of previous Valentine's Days
  5. I love giant heart-shaped, pink frosted, sprinkled and decorated, home made sugar cookies! 

My lovely sisters. I love you!
Happy Valentine's Day, friends! I hope you have a wonderful day... and that you take time today to tell at least one  special person in your life that you LOVE them... and that you take the opportunity to eat at least ONE piece of chocolate (or one other sweet treat of your choice...). I'm pretty sure you won't regret either action ;).

P.S. Dear Valentine tea party friends- I miss you!

*all photos compliments of my sister Amy.*

6 comments:

  1. I miss you too.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the lot-o-luv for Valentine's Day is spurred on by the gray days of Michigan February as I have always loved Valentine's Day also. Valentine's was my favorite holiday to celebrate with first graders. It was amusing to watch them open those little cards and run to the friend who had given it to thank them-sometimes even including a hug. Sending a Big Valentine HUG your way today. Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm remember the day you called me and said, "Hi, can you make me some Valentine Cookies". I just finished making Chocolate Cake with frosting for our dinner tonight! Do you want some?

    ReplyDelete
  4. umm only one sweet, i ate 2 chocolate cupcakes, started on the chocolate bar from you, ate a Ghiradille (sp?) mint filled chocolate, had a shortbread valentine cookie, a pink sugar cookie, and...well maybe I should stop there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we had some really yummy red velvet cake at the Books'!

      Delete