Monday, November 3, 2014

Gym-Byes

Chez and Jules
(our Zimbabwean nick-names, respectively)

Though it’s rarely mentioned on the pages of my blog, one of my favorite Nahumba blessings has been “my” gym. Three times a week, I devoted an hour out of my day to do jump squats, inch worms, burpies, planks, crunches, weight-lifting, the ‘ol hundred, military press-ups, step moves, and… yes, even some periodic kick boxing(!) [really- you name an exercise move, we’ve done it at the gym]

Upon my arrival at Nahumba, it didn’t take long for me to realize time away from work (and knocks at the door…) was necessary. Being a lover-of-mornings (what’s not to love about the newness and freshness of the sunrise each morning?!), I started getting up early and escaping for quiet walks alone.

My solitude-filled jaunts were deeply refreshing… but also excessively disturbing to my Zambian friends—who did not want me wandering un-populated areas of tall grass alone…

[Discussion went like this: “If you want to take walks, you should walk on the road where all the people are walking. That would be a good idea.” My internal response: Um… yeah… that’s actually part of the point of taking a walk-- to be somewhere where all the people are NOT!]

Needless to say, I was crushed in spirit.

I went back to the drawing board. I looked up home exercise routines and started getting up early to do burpies and planks in the sitting room before the rest of the world came to life.

Talk about boring.
Concrete floor, red carpet, no company… Despite my best intentions, it is super difficult to challenge myself to keep going physically when I’m tired or sore. I just give up.

Then, my friend Dragana told me about a ladies’ gym in Choma.

It never ceases to amaze me how God provides for His children. I didn’t even think of asking for such a blessing here in Zambia (where being “fat” is traditionally a major compliment), but God richly blessed me with a great group of work-out gals.

Ladies of the Choma Gym- I’ll miss you and our times together… gyming, sharing garden produce, discussing world politics, and celebrating birthdays and special events over coffee and cakes. I can’t say “Thanks” enough for allowing me to join your group.

my gym friends threw a special farewell gathering for me after gym last Monday

with Dragana- my friend who introduced me to the gym

um... yeah... lots and lots of cakes... what can I say?!?

our incredible gym instructor, Cheryl!
[btw- Cheryl didn't want me to take photos as she was still in her workout attire...
but I insisted.]



PS- Oh- and just in case you’re curious… I’m a pathetic kick boxer! Hahaha.

2 comments:

  1. So wonderful that you were able to do this, Julie...not only for a mental and emotional break from your work routine, but also for much-needed strenthening following your accident. Even though it has been a number of years, I'm sure that staying physically fit will help you feel better and stronger overall, and make you able to fight any "after-pains" that you might still be experiencing.:-)

    ~ Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you for doing this!! I want to learn some pathetic kickboxing. :)

    ReplyDelete